Things to do . . . for Under 5s
Tel: +44 (0) 1773 854 321
Step back in time along our recreated period street where you won't have to wait long for the rumble of a vintage tram.
- Many of the buildings along the street have been rescued from towns and cities across the UK, such as the Derby Assembly Rooms façade which came to Crich after a tragic fire. The Red Lion Pub and Restaurant came all the way from Stoke and was re-built brick by brick.
- There are lots of places to visit on the Tramway Street such as Rita’s Tearoom, Barnett’s old fashioned sweetshop, Scothern and Williamson gift shop, the Eagle Press and Fredrick’s Ice Cream Parlour and refreshments.
- Children can let off steam in the Discovery Depot – a huge indoor play area with a soft ‘tram’ climbing frame and ball pit and separate soft play area suitable for toddlers. Plenty of chairs are available for parents to have a break and lots of room for pushchairs. There is also an outdoor play area for older children.
- Why not borrow one of our brilliant backpacks to get the most out of your visit They are full of activities to encourage you to explore the Woodland Walk with it’s fascinating Sculpture Trail as well as the Museum’s exhibitions. They are suitable for 3 – 8 year olds and are available from reception.
- We also hold a variety of fun workshops during the school holidays where children can make a whole host of items to take away with them from their own books and bags to recycled art.
Don't forget that we gladly welcome four legged family members and we have recently been recommended as a dog friendly venue by the Dogs Trust. We are one of the few museums to welcome dogs free of charge and as our car park gets the sun all day we would much rather you brought your dog in with you.
Wildlife & Falconry Centre
Just 5 minutes from the M1, Junction 31
Tel: +44 (0) 1909 569 416
Meet the mini beasts and meerkats, butterflies, birds and amazing wildlife from across the globe.
Enchanted Fairy Forest with lots of magical fun!
African drums and a hammock for chilling.
On weekends and during school holidays, hitch a ride aboard our tractor-trailer.
New in 2012 . . . Realm of Camelot – a unique play experience for children!
Tel: +44 (0) 1629 582 365
A great family day out includes cable car ride giving stunning views of Derwent Valley and Peak District. Once at the top there’s lots of activities including adventure playground, falconry, woodland paths, coffee shop, rock shop and many annual events.
Gully Hotline: +44 (0) 1925 444 888
With over 65 rides, attractions and shows to see each day, and an entry charge of just ₤13.95 Gulliver’s Kingdom guarantees you a great value day out – fun for all the family throughout the year from March – September. Gulliver’s Kingdom is a family-run theme park, for families with children aged between 2 and 13 years of age. We pride ourselves on giving you great value for money, so you won’t see ticket offers on the high-street. What’s more, families are welcome to bring along their own picnics, and parking is completely FREE.
Matlock Farm Park is set within a working farm, providing a great day out for all the family. There are a varied selection of animals to see including llamas, goats, turkeys, peacocks, cattle and sheep. Pet rabbits are always popular too together with the opportunity to feed the young lambs (depending on the season). There are specially designed playgrounds for all ages, as well as a go-kart track and special events days are held throughout the year. Refreshments are available on site in the Garden Room Cafe, with snacks, hot and cold drinks and locally sourced produce. Matlock Farm Park is open 7 days a week from 10 am to 4 pm, but closed 23 December to 3 January.
Visit the website for further information.